It Works Greens is a health food product that is fast gaining popularity across the United States. Its promise is to “Alkalize, Balance, and Detoxify” your body. It works as supplement primarily aimed at restoring the pH balance inside your body. What it aims to achieve by doing this, is a healthier immune system and an overall increase in energy levels. A lot of people are still unsure whether it works or not. So here is a comprehensive review of the product to help you decide if you want to use it.
There are currently no proofs of any sort of clinical trials being conducted to study the effectiveness of the product. There are no research papers or studies available on it online. This is important to know, because although the product may actually work wonders for your body, it is not yet backed by clinical research and it may have long-term effects we may not be aware of.
It Works Greens Ingredients
It is important to study the contents of the product in order to understand the effects it may have on your body. A serving of 4 grams or 2 scoops contains a total of 15 calories, 0.5 grams of fat, 1 gram of fiber and less than 1 gram of carbs. Apart from this, it has 50 mg of Magnesium in the form of dimagnesium malate and 260 mg of potassium in the form of potassium citrate. Besides this, it contains natural flavors and silica. Apart from this it also has two proprietary blends. Let us try to understand the ingredients in a little more detail.
- Dimagnesium Malate – It is the source of magnesium in in this supplement. Here, magnesium has been chemically bonded to malic acid as it increases its absorption by the human body.
- Potassium Citrate – It is the source of potassium in this product. Here, potassium is chemically bonded to citric acid. It helps in alkalization. It is also used to alkalize the urine to reduce the formation of stones in the kidney.
- The Proprietary Blends – This product contains two different proprietary blends which have a long list of ingredients. The first one has significant amounts of Spirulina Pacifica, Eleuthero Root, Bacillus Coagulans, Astragalus Root Extract and Aloe Vera Gel. The first one Spirulina Pacifica is basically a species of blue-green algae. Eleuthero root is the root of a plant but it does not alkalize the body, also there is no evidence of its benefits to the human body. Bacillus Coagulans is a type of probiotic bacteria. Astragalus Root Extract has proven to improve the immune system in studies and aloe vera gel helps reduce blood sugar levels and has several other benefits. There are also several other ingredients in the first proprietary blend in small quantities.
The second proprietary blend contains a long list of ingredients too. The most significant ones are Goldenseal, which has shown the ability to stimulate immune system cells in clinical studies. Pau d’arco Bark is basically the bark of a tree found in the South Americas and also in Florida and it is known to have antibiotic effects. This blend too has a long list of ingredients but they are too small in quantity to warrant a discussion.
Important Health Facts
- It does have a small amount of gluten and that is stated on the product. Also, there is no “gluten-free” label.
- It does not have any genetically modified ingredients. Every ingredient used is the non-genetically modified variety.
- It is not recommended for kids. The product is meant for adults only and the company clearly instructs that it should not be given to kids.
- It contains more than just greens. While it contains a lot of food-derived products such as soy, kale etc, it does have a long list of herbs that are not pure food.
Does It Really Alkalize Your Body?
While we have all heard that acidic foods are not good for us and keeping our bodies alkaline helps. However what we tend to overlook is that we are not talking about saliva or urine here. The alkalinity of the blood is what matters. A healthy person’s blood has a pH between 7.35 to 7.45, which means it is slightly alkaline in nature. The body is well conditioned to keep the blood slightly alkaline and making it acidic can actually be lethal. However the notion that the food we eat can significantly alter the pH of our blood is most likely not true.
Does ‘It Works Greens’ Have Any Side Effects?
Currently, there are no available reports of any sort of side effect from the product. In general, the product should be completely safe for any healthy person, but if you have allergies or suffer from medical conditions that restrict certain foods or you are on regular medications, you must first check with your doctor whether this product is safe for you or not. Also, if you are currently pregnant or breast-feeding, you should seek medical advice before using this product. Avoid consuming product if you have a scheduled surgery in 2 weeks or less as it has ingredients that can cause you blood to become thin.
The Verdict: Does It Work?
The fact that the pH of our blood is always slightly alkaline, like it should be and the fact that food may not be able to influence this in any form, make the claims of “It Works Greens” being able to ‘alkalize the body’ a very weak. Also, the absence of clinical research and any other scientific proof to establish its claims is a reminder of its unsubstantiated claims. Although it has a long list of rare ingredients that are not just food based, it is difficult to determine what it exactly seeks to achieve. Perhaps not as power-packed as this product, it is still certainly a good alternative.
Considering the healthy mix that it is, it probably has good effects on your body and your health in general. If you are not on a healthy diet right now, this could be a good supplement for you. However, if you already have your necessary fill of green vegetables and fruits daily, it is difficult to determine whether It Works Greens will have effects different from what those already have on your body. Ultimately, this one, like any other supplement will assist you well if you put yourself on the path to great health by using it alongside healthy habits. There are no magic pills and there never will be any.