Superfoods are the most nutrient rich foods available on the planet and thus they are great for helping in weight loss. Many of them are quite filling due to the many healthy oils and proteins that they contain. As a result food cravings are dramatically reduced when superfood smoothies are a part of the diet.
Key Superfood Recipes To Add To Your Green Drink
Some superfood smoothie recipes also contain high amounts of calories. Calories, however, are not always a bad thing, especially when they are loaded with important nutrients. An example of a calorie and nutrient rich superfood is the avocado. It contains all the amino acids that the human body needs to build its own protein. Plus, it contains many healthy fats that can keep the body feeling full for hours to come.
Naturally, the more nutrients one puts into the body, the less one craves for food; for the body craves the nutrients, and not the calories. Empty calories on the other hand, can add up quickly, but still leave one feeling hungrier than ever, because there are no nutrients in those types of foods. Therefore, even though some of superfood smoothies might be high in calories, are a good substitute for any other food on the plate, as well as for any other snack, as they can help to dramatically reduce the amount of food that is consumed.
If you and your family do not eat enough healthy fruits and green vegetables on a daily basis, try drinking green smoothies as a simple and easy way to make sure that you consume the recommended daily amounts of vitamin rich and nutritious fruits and vegetables. Superfood smoothies enable you to consume fruits and vegetables in their raw form, thereby, retaining all of their nutritional value and strength. Several foods are classified as super foods: Spinach, wild Salmon, berries, pumpkin, Turkey and beans to name a few. I want to show you how to boost the benefits of the smoothies you drink by adding what I classify as the 5 key superfoods in their pure and natural form: Chlorella, Spirulina, Alfalfa, Wheat grass and Barley grass powders. This article teaches you about their benefits and how to add them to your smoothies for a power packed, vitamins, minerals and enzymes rich that should increase your vitality, boost your immune system and increase your red blood cell count.
You can purchase the following list of superfoods in powder form from your local health food store or order it from a reputable Internet vendor.
- Chlorella – is renowned for its detoxification properties. It can aid your body to breakdown heavy metal toxins such as mercury, cadmium, and lead. It helps you to flush out any toxicity to pesticides such as DDT and PCB at the same time that it boosts your immune system. Chlorella is green algae whose name derives from the word, chlorophyll. It contains more of this substance per gram (3% to 5%) than any other plant.
- Spirulina – is a single cell blue-green algae whose name derives from it spiral shape. It is an excellent source of protein, non-animal source of vitamin B12, vitamin A, vitamin E; minerals such as, potassium, zinc, magnesium, selenium, calcium, iron and phosphorus. It also contains amino acids and chlorophyll. Spirulina is used as an immune system booster, energizer and a non-toxic, all natural and vegan method to add extra nutrition to your diet.
- Alfalfa – is an Arabic word that translates as “the father of plants”. It is rich in protein and vitamin A, vitamin B1, vitamin B6, vitamin C, vitamin E, and vitamin K. It also contains calcium, potassium, carotene, iron, and zinc. Alfalfa plays a role in strengthening bones and boosting the overall maintenance of your health.
- Wheat grass – is one of the cereal grasses that can be consumed as juice or in a powder form. It builds red blood cells, boosts the immune system, detoxifies your body by draining your lymph system and carries away many toxins from body cells. Wheat grass is power packed with vitamins, minerals, amino acids, as many as 30 enzymes and consists of up to 70% raw chlorophyll.
- Barley grass – like wheat grass, barley grass is another of the cereal grasses that can be consumed as juice or in powder form. When compared to wheat grass, some sources claim that wheat grass contains more B6, B12, iron and chlorophyll; but barley grass is reputed to contain double the amount of all the other vitamins, minerals and amino acids not listed in the previous sentence, than wheat grass. This is why I recommend adding both of them to your green smoothies.
Simple Superfood Recipe Ideas
The superfoods can be combined in fruit smoothies with acai, pineapple, mango, blueberries and avocados. Combining the fruits in a smoothie creates a naturally sweet drink that most people enjoy, and are great at any time of day or season. Another way to enjoy the benefits of superfoods is to combine them into a rich salad, sprinkled with nuts and seeds. Depending on the foods, one can make a leafy green salad to go with the main meal, or, a fruit salad to enjoy as a dessert.
To make a simple salad dressing using one of the above mentioned superfoods, simple take an avocado and mash it up in a food processor or with a fork. The squeeze in a bit of lemon juice and add sea salt to taste. This makes for a thick dressing, but it is easily massaged into the leafy greens. The taste is fabulous.
Another idea is for a smoothie. Avocados make for a great addition to just about any type of fruit smoothie, as they provide a nice rich and creamy texture. Fruits and berries that go well with avocados are blueberries, strawberries, pineapples, mangoes and banana.
As for superfood powders, they are excellent in hot smoothies, but also work great in cold fruit smoothies as well. To make a hot smoothie using the superfoods, simply heat some water, and blend it with a bit of coconut oil. Then add your superfood powder, a natural sweetener such as raw honey or agave and enjoy.
Superfood smoothies are the good for you. Start using Superfood smoothies right away and start enjoying the overall health benefits they provide for you and your family.